Tea is a beverage that is enjoyed in a variety of locations: your home, at work, in cafés and restaurants, etc. That’s great, since tea is a beverage for anytime, anywhere. But timing that tea is important. And sometimes it is even crucial, where seconds can make the difference between delight and horror. You could lug around a timer in your pocket, purse, briefcase, or backpack. Or you could employ some of the following ways to time your tea infusion when you don’t have a timer.
|iPhone app good sub
for having no timer.
First, let’s review this general guide to steep times:
- White teas — 4 to 8 minutes
- Green teas — 1 to 3 minutes
- Oolongs — 1 to 8 minutes
- Black teas — 3 to 5 minutes
- Pu-erhs — wide range, anywhere from 5 seconds to 10 minutes
- Herbals (tisanes) — 5 to 8 minutes
Technology to the Rescue
- Use an app for your iPhone such as Tea (an app for your iPhone), developed by Sam Iglesias, an iPhone Developer and tea drinker, and Mac Tyler, a User Interface (UI) Designer. They combined forces to create this special application (“app”) for iPhones that was released on April 7, 2011. It does a good job of combining both something useful with something that a growing segment of the U.S. population has a passion about: Tea! As with all applications, it started out with the basics with room to add on. Who knows? Someday it might steep your tea for you and compost the leaves. Well, maybe not.
- Have a wrist or pocket watch that can time things (which is technically having a timer available but not the usually kind you find in kitchens). Lots to choose from. Some tend to be rather bulky and the batteries die at the most inopportune moments. But they are still a good option.
The Lo-Tech Approach
Just count it out. Yep, simple. But you have to do it right. Count too fast or too slow, and you are no better off then if you just guessed. So how you count matters. There are several alternatives here:
- One-hippopotamus-two-hippopotamus-three-hippopotamus… until the desired time is reached.
- One-elephant-two-elephant-three-elephant… until the desired time is reached.
- One-eeee-and-uh-two-eeee-and-uh-three-eeee-and-uh… until the desired time is reached.
We want you to enjoy your fine teas at their utmost and sure hope this helps! Then, go ahead and enjoy that tea in a park or wherever you happen to be.